Friday, January 23, 2009

The Legion of Doom - Part 2





[Continued from "The Legion of Doom - Part 1"]

I walked into Red’s Recovery Room on a whim. A co-worker of mine had read that it was the “Best Dive Bar” in Northern California, so we had to check it out. We were not disappointed.

The beauty that is Red’s Recovery Room is, well, everything. The choice to go with no windows in the layout is 2-fold genius. You can’t see what’s going on inside, and it keeps that annoying sunlight out. It's dark and messy, but you love it as soon as you walk in.

They had stuffed as many pool tables as you could imagine in Red's, 6 maybe, and the Coors light was cheap. The place just reeked of the Legion, and I knew instantly that this was their new hideout. The guys there could really shoot pool too. Now all I needed was for one of the legion to walk over, and BAM!, it would be on.

But I was with a co-worker. Was this smart? I didn’t have any of my old crime fighting buddies with me. Where was Apache Chieflivenotdie when you needed him? Wonder Y-man? Red Lantern? I knew Donnie was probably taking care of the Wonder Twins right then, so he was out.

Hell, I’d even take Faux-Hawkman right now.


Right when I was about to turn and run away screaming, like say Aquman would have after noticing that the "dive bar" wasn't actually located in a body of water, when one of the legion walked over. It wasn’t one of the old guys I knew from the CC, but he was one of them all right. His mullet, tattoos and earring gave him away as a member. I crapped myself figuratively. And then I crapped myself literally. I had to do this.

Co-worker and I were having a beer and playing pool at the kids table over next to the pile of old trophies, broken pinball machine, and the fake fly trap, completely separated from the grown up tables on the far side of the bar. Mullet man came over and challenged us, said he hadn’t played for about 9 months, and said he knew our type, and we were “a dime a dozen.” Other than that he was really pretty friendly.

TUNE IN NEXT BLOG, FOR ANOTHER EXCITING EPISODE OF...
THE LEGION OF DOOM, Now in Rohnert Park!

No comments: