Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Legion of Doom – Part 1

I thought the Legion was gone forever, and that my crime fighting days were over... I was wrong.

About a decade ago I fought the SF chapter of the Legion of Doom in their hidden lair, a small hideout called The Columbus Café, or the “CC”, in the Northbeach district of San Francisco. I can only assume that they were drawn there by the cheap beer, and the pool table in back. The legion would shoot pool, and get loaded off the 2 for 1 beers every Friday. I would counter their moves by playing pool, and getting loaded off the 2 for 1 beers, also every Friday.

A member or two of The Legion were always there at the CC. There was “Homeless Looking Guy” who wore a black trench coat, and didn’t seem to shower, there was “Australian Man” who had an accent, spiked hair, and ordered “pints” not “beers”; and there was “The Mexican” who just seemed like a Mexican guy. There were other minor villians, but these were the main guys; the Luthor, Solomon Grundy, and Bizarro of the team you might say. Bizarro for sure.

I would try to match them drink for drink, and challenge them at the pool table. They became my nemesis. Even if I could win a game or two, they would always use their superior powers to defeat me. I felt like that worthless superhero Aquaman, trying to stop a bank robbery on dry land:

Aquaman: STOP ROBBING THIS BANK OR I WILL SUMMON A GIANT SEA SQUID AND CRUSH YOU!

Robber: Umm, shut up or I’ll shoot you.

Aquaman: OK THEN, I’ll just be over here (eyeing the water fountain) minding my own business…

Robber: Oh jesus… [shoots Aquaman]


After fighting the Legion at the CC for five or six hours, I would usually retreat with my friends to the Bocce Cafe up the hill and regroup over $8 gnocchi and the second cheapest bottles of Chianti they had. Years passed and the Legion eventually stopped showing up, apparently looking for easier pickings than the fight I put up at the Columbus Café. Just to make sure though, I kept frequenting the CC, to ensure the evil was vanquished there forever.

Years passed, and I thought the threat posed by the Legion of Doom was over. I moved away, had kids, and stopped my crime fighting all together. That is until I visited Red’s Recovery Room in Rohnert Park, CA this past week. It was pure evil genius, I mean who would think to look for The Legion of Doom up in the Wine Country of Northern California?

TUNE IN NEXT POST FOR THE EXCITING CONCLUSION OF The Legion of Doom in the second and final episode creatively named: The Legion of Doom - Part 2...

1 comment:

ChiefLiveNotDie said...

You dirty bastard let's not forget that Aquaman can do ANYTHING in the water. All sorts of water you tool. And he's got the Mermaids and a whole crew of great people and activities to entertain him in the Sea. Finally, you sorry super hero dissing blogger, may I remind you that about 70% of the earth is covered in what? That's right WATER. Aquaman runs a tight ship down there so we just never hear about worthless crap like bank robberies. Also, last time I checked just about anywhere worth being in this fine world of ours (unless you're going Skiing) is on the coast. Don't you live in Seattle? Don't you like sailing? Due to their proximity to the coast Aquaman could have maximum affect in 95% of the places that I would consider cool. What are you a red state guy now?

PS You had a whole cast of other "super heroes" helping you at the CC. One of them gave me about two dozen of their drink tokens as a souvenir.