Tuesday, June 24, 2008

It's OKTO Ramble About Sports

Did anyone notice how huge Tiger Woods has gotten? No, I don't mean "popular" huge, he's been that since he's been out of diapers. I mean he's gotten "Incredible Hulk" huge. During his recent play at the US Open, I was watching Woods at a bar with a bunch of jackasses (yeah, you heard me you guys, JACKASSES) when a picture of Tiger appeared on TV that actually made the woman sitting next to us gasp out loud. It was a shot of Tiger, and he just looked like a freaking BALCO commercial. Now I'm as heterosexual as the next guy (well, we were in a San Francisco bar, so maybe that's not saying much) but I think I may have gasped out loud too.

I guess Tiger's effect on the woman at the bar (and me) explains the whole Elin Nordegren-Woods thing a little bit more. That and Tiger's kabazillion dollars I guess.

Speaking of boring sports, when did European Soccer become popular? I mean, outside of Europe? I actually see people watching it out in public now. I even have some friends (I use the term loosely) that have requested that certain European Cup games not be talked or e-mailed about until after they get a chance to watch it later on TiVo! This is a tournament that America didn't know existed a year ago, and now it's more important than an NBA playoff game?

And God bless dudes. We just inherently understand the art of fishing to see if a big game on TV can be talked about, or not, without potentially ruining it for someone else who may not have seen it yet. Here is an Instant Message correspondence with a buddy a few weeks ago:

Buddy: Are you watching the game?
Me: I'm watching it tonight.
Buddy: We'll talk then.

Now in comparison I IM'd my wife last week while the above mentioned Tiger was playing in the Monday US Open playoff:

Me: Are you watching Tiger?
Wife: He's all tied up on 17
Me: BITCH! I'm 45 minutes behind on TiVo! He's down two strokes!
Me: [really] Cool!


And I'm still rambling.... you guys get back to it.

1 comment:

Oscar de La Jolla said...

Hmmm... this post from the same guy who used to gasp and comment aloud about the physical size of one Bobby Estalella at Pac Bell Park in SF. One for "yes."